In order to enable St Johns to enhance the quality of its healthcare provision, MCD worked closely with the partners.
To address security concerns, an innovative concept was developed: the ground floor accommodates a pharmacy and children’s nursery; the practice occupies the first and second floors. This is a concept that we believe will work well in other environments – above supermarkets and shopping centres, for example.
During the development process, we also encouraged the partners to visit other recently completed surgeries. We then incorporated the best ideas into the brief. These included:
- Easy circulation and signage for patients
- Sound-proofing to ensure patient confidentiality
- Maximum natural light
- Good facilities for the staff – including a roof terrace
- Steel-framed construction to ensure internal flexibility, enabling the practice to adapt to future needs
- A large conference room for external functions
- Good quality of internal finishes
- Features to promote energy efficiency, including modern insulation techniques to reduce heating costs
- Features to minimise maintenance costs, including self-colour rendering to the walls and powder-coated windows
- Contemporary architectural design